About the Colonial District

The Colonial Soil and Water Conservation District serves Charles City, James City, New Kent, and York Counties, as well as the City of Williamsburg. The District area covers approximately 660 square miles, reaching a total population of over 175,000. 

Virginia’s 47 Soil and Water Conservation Districts are charged with implementing the Virginia Agricultural Cost Share Program (VACS), assisting with the state’s Total Maximum Daily Load (TMDL) process, and serving as the plan approval authority for the Resource Management Plan Program (RMP). Many districts also participate in the delivery of environmental education programs, conservation and nutrient management planning, assist their localities with the Chesapeake Bay Preservation Act, and implement the Virginia Conservation Assistance Program (VCAP). 

In addition to the those listed above, the Colonial Soil and Water Conservation District has a long history of developing targeted programs and initiatives that benefit local water quality, and the local population. Currently, the Colonial SWCD is working with the Williamsburg Community Growers on an urban agriculture program to educate primary, secondary, and collegiate students about conservation, sustainability and environmental responsibility in urbanizing areas.   

The Commonwealth of Virginia supports the Colonial Soil & Water Conservation District through financial and administrative assistance, provided by the Virginia Soil and Water Conservation Board and the Department of Conservation and Recreation.

Freedom of Information Act

To request records from the Colonial District direct your request to , Sheila Jaruseski, the District's FOIA Officer.

 She can be reached by mail at 205 Bulifants Blvd., Suite C, Williamsburg, VA  23188, or telephone at 757-645-4895.  

In addition, the Freedom of Information Advisory Council is available to answer any questions you may have concerning FOIA. The Council may be contacted by email at http://foiacouncil.dls.virginia.gov/.

If you have any questions, please contact Sheila Jaruseski.